Thursday, January 26, 2012

Caffeine Addictions

I needed coffee this morning, and a lot of it. As soon as I entered Target I steered my cart over to Starbucks and got my usual venti non-fat chai tea latte. Cha-ching $4.32. I handed the barista, with the cute little accent, a five dollar bill and told her to keep the change, so really it was a five dollar cha-ching! This is actually a bit cheaper than most other Starbucks drinks, and that's always how I justify it to myself...It's the cheapest fancy drink on the menu, and I only treat myself to one a couple of times a week. Surely I deserve it!

My two coffee purchases today. Over two pounds of Folgers ground coffee for $7.99 and a Starbucks Venti: 20 fluid ounces for $4.32. I know that one is a fancy, specialty hand crafted drink made specifically for the patron, and the other is a container of mediocre "take the damn thing home and make it yourself" so it's not really comparing apples to apples. It's simply an observation, and maybe a sign that my brain should focus on something else more meaningful! 

Once my mental justification of pricey coffee/tea drinks was taken care off, I took a long, slow slip of my warm heavenly concoction, and then headed off in search of bulk coffee for home. After all, I can't afford to drink this stuff daily. After locating the coffee isle, and agonizing over the current price of coffee I started to wonder why I could so easily lay down five dollars for a 20 oz speciality drink but balked at the $7.99 for two pounds of bulk ground coffee.That simply did not make any financial sense.  On the label, Folgers even boasts "makes over 240 six oz cups of coffee." Still mulling this over, I  selected my favorite type of roast, and continued on with the rest of my shopping, but I'm still left wondering why I don't think of the Folgers as a great deal? It's only when I compare the eight dollar Folgers to the pricey liquid drink that I start to think of it as "a pretty good deal when compared to Starbucks."

Toodles,
Michelle



No comments:

Post a Comment