Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Not So Spontaneous Valentine's Day Lunches


But ughhh ... again with the rain, I don't like it. Sunshine is my drug. I'm an addict. It gives me a natural high. I can't help but smile and feel good on sunny days. Gloomy, overcast days put me in a funk.

I called my walking partner, on this wet, dreary Valentine's Day to cancel our Tuesday morning walk, but she talked me into taking an umbrella and going anyway. So we did. That's the great thing about an exercise partner, they hold you accountable and talk you into it when you are making excuses. As we were walking along, chatting, trying to skip water puddles and taking turns holding her massive umbrella I started to think about how Bill and I have fallen into a bit of a romantic slump. This is mostly my fault. I'm not the most romantic person. He asked what I wanted for Valentine's Day, I said nothing. I think it's just a commercialized holiday without any real value behind it. Now how unromantic does that sound? So during my walk, I decided I would call him and make a lunch date. I would drive downtown to meet him .. and we could sneak away for a nice little lunch ... boys are in school on Tues/Thurs, so this is a great opportunity to surprise him! And just as I was about to tell my walking partner my big plans, a red truck pulls up beside us, and the builder of our house sticks his head asking if he can swing by to do some of the repairs on our list ... well, dang, what to do now? That would mean no romantic Valentine's Day lunch. I told the builder to swing by and start working on the list. That's the practical, not so romantic, side of me coming through!

Once I get back home, Bill texts me to ask what I'm doing (which he rarely does) then I realize he's probably going to suggest lunch as well! Well, of course, I instantly felt bad. The builder, and two of his helpers, had just pulled in, and I doubted they'd finish in time for me to meet Bill and get back to pick the boys up at 2:30pm. Especially since part of the to do list was in our bathroom, and I hadn't showered yet. My hair was a bit damp from the rain, as well. The rain and my curly locks do not mix well .. it's a frizz fest when the two meet.

The builder left at 11:40, so I thought about scrambling into the shower and trying to get ready, or maybe just forgo the shower altogether, but I'd still need to change and freshen up at least a little. Bill and I decided, over a few texts, that we'd postpone our Valentine's lunch date until Thursday. That's the practical side of us both!

He did come home with 4 cupcakes to share with us, and I had cooked a nice dinner, which included roast pork, roasted potatoes and roasted green beans. All in all, it was a lovely little Valentine's Day, and spent just the way it should be .. understated and with the ones you love.

No comments:

Post a Comment